https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Time to prepare for future disasters

By Suzy Foss, Ravalli County Commissioner, Hamilton Over a week ago I called for a meeting with all of our emergency management partners to start a discussion concerning possibilities the coming spring thaw might bring. We have not had a snow load like this since before the fires of 2000. In 2001 we had several…

Letters to the Editor

Liberal failure

The liberal left, those on the dole, and other un-thinking voters elected President Obama. Such voters should be ashamed of themselves now, because Obama and/or his administration: 1. Spearheaded the currently demonstrated un-Affordable Care Act and later lied about how you can keep your health care plan, period! It is unaffordable because people hurt…

Response to Lipus

Frank Lipus’ Ravalli Republic’s Letter to the Editor, Feb. 14th, would like our county voters to “stick with principals (sic), not political parties when making a decision that affects our way of life.” I couldn’t agree more. We could have avoided much of the damaging embarrassment that is our current county commission if only…

Thanks from Marine Corps League

Christmas is now a memory but a happy one, thanks to Toys for Tots. While the Christmas season has passed, and we anxiously await the arrival of Spring, many Valley children are enjoying the toys that they received this year through the Ravalli County Toys for Tots Program. Toys for Tots was originated by…

We all need to look out for each other

I was driving up Middle Burnt Fork and looked over to the left at Burnt Fork Manor and saw a caregiver trying to get an elderly woman up off the icy and wet sidewalk where she had slipped and fallen. I had cars behind me so I went into a driveway, turned around and…

Black comedy

Suspended Ravalli County Treasurer Valerie Stamey has taken some hard knocks recently for her manifest incompetence, legal troubles from her previous incarnation in South Carolina, and her seemingly wild and bizarre accusations against just about anyone within her orbit. Yet there must be another side to the story. Here we are in the grip…

Way out of touch

One can only wonder what goes on in the collective mind of the three teapublicans, namely Foss, Stoltz and Burrows, that currently hold sway on the Ravalli County commission… is it grandiose delusions, hubris, or just garden variety stupidity? Whichever or whatever it may be, isn’t it time to put these people on hold before…

Efficiency is not a partisan quality

Like many of us here in the Bitterroot Valley, I have watched the unfolding developments in the Ravalli County Treasurer’s and the County Commissioners offices with a combination of fascination and horror. I’m appalled at the beating our county’s credibility has taken. I’ve attended a few of the meetings in the commissioner’s meeting room and…

Thanks to Ravalli County Museum

You missed a treat if you were unable to attend the Homeshooler’s History Fair at the Ravalli County Museum. Complete with costumes, presentation boards and props, twenty-nine homeschoolers, age five through eleven, presented their chosen historical characters. Thank you to all who braved the snow and cold to attend the event and support the…

Preventing dam disasters critical

As a volunteer with the Red Cross as the Disaster Chair for Ravalli County I have some concerns about the readiness for disasters here in the valley in several respects. One of the charges given by Congress when they chartered the Red Cross (without federal funding) was to respond to disasters. We also have the…

Commissioners should have chosen Johnson

The Commissioners finally brought Valerie Stamey to a meeting to explain the lawsuit brought by eastern attorneys concerning $18,149.00. That gave her plenty of time to write something inflammatory about the Commissioners, thus allowing her to evade the issue. It was a well calculated smoke screen when the meeting finally occurred at which she…