https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Kudos to democracy

By Mary Fahnestock-Thomas, Hamilton   What a great experience! Last night I attended the public meeting and hearing with the Montana Department of Environmental Equality (DEQ) on the proposed wastewater permit for a proposed large retail construction just south of Hamilton, at the junction of Highway 93 and Blood Lane. Thanks to the response of…

Letters to the Editor

Bullied at park

Last Monday, my children (ages 2 and 9 mo) and I were told to leave the Lone Rock Community Park during school hours by someone associated with Lone Rock School. We were not drinking, doing drugs, or breaking the law. We were swinging. My kids and I were on a walk and spotted a weathered…

Fairgrounds improvements

This is a letter from the Ravalli County Fairgrounds to the community we serve. As a community resource, the Ravalli County Fairgrounds plays a diverse and complex role here in the Bitterroot Valley. As the managing director of this facility, I am writing this letter to our community to let you, the taxpayers, know what’s…

Remove Burrows

During the primary election, we, the citizens of Ravalli County, voted overwhelmingly to remove two of our commissioners, thus beginning the process of bringing sanity back to county government. After numerous embarrassments, culminating with the treasurer’s debacle, hopefully things will soon improve. Unfortunately, the job is only partially done, with incumbent commissioner, Jeff Burrows, still…

Tips on study commission candidates

Terry Nelson is Chairman of the Republican Central Committee. He provided a sample ballot at the Republican Women’s Apple Days booth and on the internet. Sample ballot was drafted and distributed without the permission of the Republican Central Committee, or Republican Women. I encourage everyone to note the following names that Terry has recommended for…

Support for Schneider

Our stunning valley is putting on her best show these days with glorious colors and premium weather. People talk about it happily everywhere I go. What few are talking about is the upcoming election. Did you know that Ron Ehli voted for a permanent property tax reduction for Montana’s wealthiest earners? Similarly he voted to…

Support for West

Our home is in Ravalli County and I would like to comment on the signs that litter the valley prior to an election. Those who are running for office should consider what their signs reflect. The quality of a sign reflects the quality of the person the sign represents. As I travel around the county…

Eastside Hwy should reflect sense of place

Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) proposes rebuilding 5.8 miles of MT 203 Eastside Highway from Hidden Valley Road south to Lee Metcalf National Wildlife Refuge at an estimated $7.1 million without a developed bike/walking path. With no current traffic count, comments are due 10/24/14. Concerns to keep in mind: 1) A Bitterrooter worried because the…

Support for Ray

When long time Ravalli County Justice of the Peace Nancy Sabo resigned to handle some out-of-state personal issues, the late Jerry Williams and I were asked by the County Commissioners to review the applicants and provide them with three names to fill the position. The criteria that we determined would bring a seamless transition…

Support for Pearson

Since the primary which took place in June of this year, I have had the opportunity to get to know Mr. Pearson. He is a candidate for the position I am retiring from as Justice of the Peace, Dept. 1. In conversing with him, it is clear that he wishes to give back…

Support for Curtis

Amanda Curtis is running for the US Senate against Steve Daines. She came to the campaign late, replacing John Walsh (boring, boring, boring!), but I think that may have been the luckiest thing that could have happened for the citizens of Montana. Now we have a real choice about who represents us. Amanda is…