https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Kudos to democracy

By Mary Fahnestock-Thomas, Hamilton   What a great experience! Last night I attended the public meeting and hearing with the Montana Department of Environmental Equality (DEQ) on the proposed wastewater permit for a proposed large retail construction just south of Hamilton, at the junction of Highway 93 and Blood Lane. Thanks to the response of…

Letters to the Editor

Schallenberger’s ethics called into question

Doug Schallenberger, Republican, has no business running for or, God forbid, getting elected as a Ravalli County Commissioner. Why? Because he does the bidding of the Mormon Church and he used his position as a Bishop to protect a known pedophile and help him escape prosecution. How do I know? Because the pedophile,…

LR 126 would eliminate voting options

When you examine your ballot for the November 4 election, one of the decisions you will be asked to make is whether to vote for or against repealing current law which allows citizens to both register and vote on the day of the election. The law permitting this has been in effect for about…

Voice your opinion on ‘bike paths’

Public comment is important to the process of making a final decision. Public input influences the final decision, as well it should, and that is why we, the citizens in the area being affected, are included in the process. Save the date, October 7th, Florence School old gym, at 5:30 for sharing of…

Support for Curtis and Lewis

No matter what national political pundits say about us being a red state, Montanans have shown time and time again that we vote for the person, not the party, and that we are a purple state. I consider myself an Independent (like a lot of you) but due to lack of people running as Independents,…

TBID making progress

The Ravalli County Tourism Business Improvement District (RC TBID) is making a difference to the folks of Bitterroot Valley, as we are one of the umbrella organizations that link all the communities. The Board of Trustees is comprised of five owners or owner designated managers who operate lodging businesses in this county. We are here…

Support for public land transfer

As a U.S. Forest Service retiree, I know the benefits of a well managed forest. Over the last 20 plus years, I have seen the federal government’s “on the ground” forest management deteriorate. Lack of timber sales and excessive access closures have not served the public or the resource well. Many years ago I…

Who is really representing Stevensville’s taxpayers?

I do not understand why the fine citizens of Stevensville are not mad or just are not aware of what is happening in our local Town Government. We have a mayor who is being paid very well for his services. All previous mayor salaries in the past were $400 a month. Now, our latest…

Walk a mile in their shoes

Winners/losers. If there is one, there is also the other, so in our culture we compete (fight) to be the one on top. Is it so hard to see that in this system there really are neither winners nor losers because the fight always goes on? There cannot be peace? We are comfortable when…

Library makes improvements

Downtown Stevensville has a new look! The North Valley Public Library needed new paint so we looked for colors that would tie together our three buildings and complement those of the other buildings on Main Street. The Design Committee of the Main Street Association offered their professional advice for highlighting some of the architectural…

Turning a blind eye II: sequel

Any public figure sworn to uphold the law, implicitly, as it was handed down to him/her via our own state and federal legislatures, but, sadly so, finds himself/herself in breach of those duties sworn to, by way of deliberate and complicit negligence, e.g., knowingly and willingly making way to a known drug felon, for carte…