Bitterroot Star Ads Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Time to put ‘Christ’ back in Christian

By Claire Kelly, Stevensville It is past time to put ‘Christ’ back into ‘Christian’. In four weeks, 2016 voting will commence with the Iowa Caucuses. News pundits predict Senator Ted Cruz from Texas, who claims to be an Evangelical Christian, will win that primary, because he is the favorite of Evangelical Christians who dominate Iowa…

Letters to the Editor

Frustrated

I am rereading an article from the Bitterroot Star dated October 21, 2015 regarding Patty Walters who received the 2015 Courage Award from SAFE. I am late in responding, but the issues that frustrate me are still taking place in our community. The article states that Patty’s abuser was arrested and charged with partner/family member…

Re: recent articles about wildfire

For more than ten years, the Bitter Root Resource Conservation and Development Area has provided free forestry consultation and up to a 50% cost share for private landowners wishing to reduce hazardous fuel loads on their property. The Hazardous Fuel reduction program has helped 900 landowners in Missoula, Mineral and Ravalli counties protect some 9,000…

Thanks from museum

The volunteer Board of the Ravalli County Museum along with Executive Director Tamar Stanley and staff would like to thank the family of George “Stag” Vogt and wife Jo, and their son Stephen for generously remembering the Museum in their end of life wealth distribution. The Museum and many other entities were remembered in their…

Case for thinning our forests

Silviculture is a specialized field of forestry that is concerned with the long term health and productivity of a stand of trees, or many stands of trees. While a forester’s job often ends with the completion of a timber sale, the silviculturist is a practicing forest/plant and fire ecologist who uses state-of-the-art science to manage…

Most Muslims aren’t extremists

I was pleased to hear that our governor declined to join others who want to deny Syrians and other people escaping the violence in their part of the world entry to Montana, and that the president will continue to allow these folks to come to the US. Unfortunately, bad news makes headlines, which then skews…

Quran quoted incorrectly

Reading in last week’s opinion I saw the Quran being quoted, however, the quote was incorrect. 5.32 is often misquoted to make Muslims look as if they are a peaceful religion. What the quote 5.32 really says is For that cause we decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for…

Stevi Share Tree milestone

The Stevensville Christmas Share Tree would like to announce we have met our goal of matching funds to obtain a grant from the Phyllis & Dennis Washington Foundation. We would like thank the Stevensville Community and all of those who donated funds and to send a special thanks to the Stevensville Civic Club and First…

Golden Rule still appropriate

“Whoever kills an innocent person, it is as if he has killed all of humanity.” (Quran 5:32) So we can build our walls higher and punish trespassers, or we can try to understand one another’s needs and beliefs and treat others as we want to be treated. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can…

Thanks to veterans

In light of the recent Veterans Day commemoration, I want to thank all veterans for their service. We honor the fallen and all past servicemen and women, and salute active personnel. Though I never served, I take pride in my parents’ and grandparents’ military service. My grandfathers, while living long lives, died before I was…

Why fire killed trees are not being logged

This is not going to be easy to explain for people who don’t know about logging and scaling logs. This is the way you tell how many board feet of lumber will be in a log. The small end of the log is scaled with a stick that is placed across the end of the…