Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Negative impact of state library budget cuts

By Montana Library Association Board of Directors : President – Lisa M. Jackson, Vice President – Elizabeth Jonkel, Past President – Dawn Kingstad, Secretary/Treasurer – Mary Guthmiller, ASLD Chair – Aaron LaFromboise, PLD Chair – Kit Stephenson, SLD Co-Chairs – Dianne Mattila, Angela Achuleta, ALA Representative – Matt Beckstrom, MPLA Representative – Rachel Rawn, PNLA…

Letters to the Editor

Re: Three Mile Community/Senior Center

To the Three Mile (Lone Rock) Community, We are actively trying to raise funds to build our community building at the Ambrose Park without adding additional taxes to our already tax poor community. We have two fund raisers this summer. The first is a yard sale on June 24th during the 50-Mile Yard Sale event….

Knowledge required for sound investing

Who do you seek for advice when you have money to invest? Do you call up the local farmer, a teacher and a couple of lawyers? Most people use professionals who know markets and can give good advice on trends. I carried Representative Court’s (D-Billings) House Bill 533 on the floor of the Senate last…

Happy with Trump

The electoral vote serves the same purpose today as it did when our forefathers designed it. They had the wisdom to see that the sparse population spreading across vast territory away from the center of power in the east would have no voice. It would take a great argument to convince me it should be…

Crying foul

We all know a ton of dark money is trying to buy Zinke’s seat for Gianforte, but consider this: unless every penny of the costs associated with Trump Jr. and his Secret Service entourage’s upcoming visit to Montana are paid by Gianforte’s campaign, we are all effectively being forced to support Gianforte. This smacks of…

Sanctuary cities a foolish notion

America has never been a nation of immigrants. America has been a nation of assimilated immigrants. America is unique in world history for its melting-pot characteristic. An astonishing mix of nationalities, races, religions, and ideologies dwell together in peace in America. But in other countries those differences produce chaos and conflict. Why is America the…

Support for Quist

If you are a small Montana business owner, have you ever paid to interview a potential job applicant? And even more bizarre during the interview the applicant’s acquaintance rather than the applicant did most of the talking? Montana is about to hire a new congressman. You get to pay $35 to $2700 for this job…

Support for Quist

So we’re all in the car, headed out on a trip that should be both interesting and fun, and everyone wants to drive. Okay, we’re all headed to the same place and there’s only one car, so let’s take turns. But me first and longest! Well, how do the rest of us feel about that?…

Support for Gianforte

I am so saddened by the divide in America today. I entered into politics last year, knowing that it would be historical, by volunteering to call voters for five months across Montana, my home of 27 years, for the GOP Governor’s race. I learned that the voters just don’t know who to trust anymore. Today’s…

SB 305 – the rest of the story

Imagine a bi-partisan bill to keep more drunk drivers off of the road. It easily passes the Senate. But the leadership of the Montana House radically breaks with House rules! And assigns the Bill to a House “kill” committee well known to support the market interests of the Montana tavern industry. A committee with a…

Re: National Guard Armory sale

The sale of the National Guard armory to the City of Hamilton is a bad deal for the residents and businesses of Hamilton and the City should walk away from it. The price that has been set by the State of Montana to the City for that property is $1,200,000 and the State will accept…