https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Proposed dam purchases good for Montana

By Bob Rowe, CEO, NorthWestern Energy   D.D. Hardy’s recent letter in the Bitterroot Star raised questions about NorthWestern Energy’s proposed purchase of the PPL Montana hydroelectric facilities. I will address some of the questions raised in the letter. PPL Montana bought the dams from the Montana Power Company in 1999 – in the aftermath…

Letters to the Editor

Get on board at healthcare.gov

Joel Olinghouse and Jerry Haslip got the memo. They were wonderfully perfect in giving the textbook Republican opposition response to Obamacare. Their arguments were enthusiastic and entertaining, but predictably lacking in truth, compassion, and financial soundness. We must all thank Joel and Jerry (J&J) for shining the spotlight on present-day Republican family values and morals,…

Friendly valley

My husband and I moved to Hamilton one month ago and are impressed with the friendliness of people we meet. When I mention that I am new to town, they never fail to say” Welcome to the Valley.” Bitterroot Valley is beautiful and I can see why people are proud of it. Thanks for…

Victor Park memories

When the Victor Garden Club gave up our much loved Victor Park to the county, a whole bunch of memories came flooding back to me. When I see Gene Buroker, Victor shop owner, he says, “Louise, why don’t you and I do Chief Victor Days – we could do it, I know we could!”…

Believing in Darby

Wow! What a year we had in 2013! Are you ready for 2014? Well, I’m stoked to see what we can accomplish in this new year, and I would like to share a few thoughts. Above the desk in my office is sign that only says “BELIEVE.” That’s it, but it speaks volumes to me…

Support for Star

I don’t often choose to financially support private enterprise but I am making a notable exception for the Bitterroot Star. Had it not been for the exceptional investigative reporting by Michael Howell, we would still be completely in the dark regarding our county treasurer. With all the crazy things that our county commission has…

Support for Hawk

This might be the shortest letter I’ve ever written! Ray Hawk will be the best thing to happen to Ravalli County. Thank you, Ray, for caring enough to come out of retirement and run. Your knowledge and experience is exactly what we need. Lilya McAlister Stevensville

Liberal failure

The liberal left, those on the dole, and other un-thinking voters elected President Obama. Such voters should be ashamed of themselves now, because Obama and/or his administration: 1. Spearheaded the currently demonstrated un-Affordable Care Act and later lied about how you can keep your health care plan, period! It is unaffordable because people hurt…

Response to Lipus

Frank Lipus’ Ravalli Republic’s Letter to the Editor, Feb. 14th, would like our county voters to “stick with principals (sic), not political parties when making a decision that affects our way of life.” I couldn’t agree more. We could have avoided much of the damaging embarrassment that is our current county commission if only…

Thanks from Marine Corps League

Christmas is now a memory but a happy one, thanks to Toys for Tots. While the Christmas season has passed, and we anxiously await the arrival of Spring, many Valley children are enjoying the toys that they received this year through the Ravalli County Toys for Tots Program. Toys for Tots was originated by…

We all need to look out for each other

I was driving up Middle Burnt Fork and looked over to the left at Burnt Fork Manor and saw a caregiver trying to get an elderly woman up off the icy and wet sidewalk where she had slipped and fallen. I had cars behind me so I went into a driveway, turned around and…