Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

My Hanukah in the Bitterroot

By Elliott Oppenheim, MD, JD, LLM Health Law, Florence    Recently, as I prepared to perform on my trumpet, I watched a music teacher in Ravalli County rehearse kindergartners’ Christmas carols. I observed that most people in the county are unfamiliar with Jews and with Hanukah. I wanted to add my family’s Jewish story to…

Letters to the Editor

Stop Trump now!

Watching the massacre that just took place in Las Vegas, Nevada has left me wondering how many more will we be witness to? Looking back on previous acts of terrorism that have been committed here in the United States, the biggest percent of them have been carried out by our own white homegrown terrorists….

Support White Ribbon Campaign

October 22 to 28 is White Ribbon Week in Ravalli County. The White Ribbon Campaign is a community-wide event designed to raise awareness about domestic violence.   Please show your support for ending domestic violence by wearing a white ribbon during our week-long event. Ribbons are available at SAFE, SAFE Thrift Store, and…

Build Montana’s workforce, build Montana’s future

As communities across the nation work to recover from recent natural disasters, many are discovering that while they have plenty of rebuilding to do, they lack the manpower to do it. This circumstance comes as no surprise to the Montana Contractors’ Association (MCA), which has been considering the nationwide shortage of skilled trade workers…

Questioning commitment

First, thanks to the Bitterroot Star et al for hosting last Thursday’s Candidates Forum.  You provided a terrific opportunity for Stevensville residents to hear from those running for Mayor and Council. Unfortunately, not everyone showed up – more on that in a minute.   Second and along the lines of not everyone showing up, I…

Trump deserves our support

Once again I find myself wondering if some of the most vehement anti-Trumpeters hear what I hear. President Trump has stated repeatedly that he is for the middle class, wants to bring back our manufacturing, increase employment, lower taxes for everyone and make our dealings with other nations more equitable.   Must we be reminded…

Don’t be a ‘Dumpty’

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty could not decide which way to fall.   Do not be a “Dumpty” sitting on the wall by not voting for mayor or council people in this election. We, the people, need people who will make decisions that benefit the people, not just a select few.  …

The Great Firefighter

We have an awesome God. Think about it. For over two months our dedicated fire fighters worked tirelessly to put out the many ragging fires across MT. This included hundreds of workers around the clock, helicopters, airplanes, modern equipment and technology, and millions of dollars. Yet the fires kept growing.   Then God steps in,…

Sobering

Essen vs Miller. Miller vs Essen. It’s this back and forth kinda crapola that rages on WHILE PEOPLE DIE. Wait until it happens here. And why wouldn’t it? We’re not special. Alan Gelman Florence

Shameful

To the cruel and heartless individual that chose to take the life of the little box turtle on Saturday, September 26: I hope you are proud of your evil self.   On Highway 93 heading north between Bell Crossing and the Stevi Cutoff, the turtle had made it across the southbound lanes and was in…

Adding up local Lolo Peak Fire losses and costs

In Google Earth, look at Lolo Peak from due west. Notice heavy timber and a straight, long, slender, green colored stripe below Lolo Peak. Follow it, zoom in and you’ll see that it’s Meadow Creek.   Looks like the fire originated on the south slope of lower Meadow Creek, at about 5,000’ elevation following a…