Bitterroot Star Ads Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Does MT special ed funding pass constitutional test?

By Rep. Kathy Kelker, Billings   John (not his real name), a 5-year old in a Billings public school kindergarten class, was born with disabilities that affect his physical dexterity and his ability to speak clearly. He has been eligible for special services since birth and receives special instruction as well as speech, occupational and…

Letters to the Editor

Bitterrooters mostly good

So Mr. Cornelius is leaving the Bitterroot, angry and disgruntled. I am sorry that he could not get a good job here as so many cannot, or are underemployed. And I am sorry that he never encountered the majority of Bitterrooters who are good, supportive of programs to help the disadvantaged, and who support his…

Unfair treatment

I heard something interesting today… Once again a citizen gets punished as if they were a “bad” child. I remember a time when I wanted to improve my property while the neighbor chose to neglect his property. I was served notice that I must pay the government $800 for permission. I was punished and told…

Severson thanked

I just want to take this opportunity, as Dan Severson relinquishes ownership of Valley Drug, to say thank you for all you have done for the town of Stevensville. Many of your accomplishments and civic generosity have been well documented this past month, but I would like to add some additional thoughts from the viewpoint…

Praise for ‘Working’ play

Be sure to treat yourself and go see the current production, “Working,” at the Stevensville Playhouse which will be presented only three more times. It is a funny, poignant, true-to-life portrayal of the average, and never fully appreciated, working people who contribute so much to our daily lives, but who are barely noticed. Of course,…

Outta here!

To those who wrote letters appearing in last week’s edition of the Star denouncing the Ravalli County Commission’s stance against the state’s inclusion of Syrian refugees while blatantly attempting to guilt-trip naysayers using miscontextualized Bible verses: Your hypocrisy’s showing, luv. You live in the poorest county in the state, either support or sit idly by…

Some history

Recently, I researched the University of Montana Mansfield Library’s archival 1889 Carrington Consolidated Map of Indian and Settlers Land in Bitter Root Valley, Montana and 1909 Northern Pacific’s “Uncle Sam Will Give You a Home in the Flathead Indian Reservation, Western Montana.” Carrington depicted lands as “taken from the Indians” before October 1891 when U.S….

Joining the fray

I was happy to stay out of the fray until I read “Local churches extend welcoming hand.” Now, I will not stand silent when the teachings of my Master, the Lord Jesus Christ, are so grossly distorted. I will address a few of the lies: “Its (the Bible’s) movement is toward the unity of peoples…

Playing into terrorists’ hands

Terrorists want massive publicity for their every outrage, followed by politicians and others generating hysteria, fear and repression. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/30/why-keep-giving-terrorists-what-want-tunisia-attacks-uk-reaction It appears to me that terrorism has reared its ugly head in Montana, and we are playing right into their hands. Without having to fire a shot, or strap on a suicide vest, or even get…

Re: Syrian refugees

A huge number of folks attended the meeting regarding the Commissioners’ letter about refugees possibly being allowed into Missoula County. I so appreciate that we can gather and express our views in a democratic fashion, although apparently pitted against one another, and unable to hear viewpoints in a truly thoughtful fashion. The empathy I feel…

Commissioners’ actions shameful

The charade called a “public informational meeting” two weeks ago, regarding the Syrian refugee placement, was the most shameful pandering to a political base that I have seen in this county. The inappropriate letter produced by the Ravalli County commissioners, intended to generate baseless fear regarding the acceptance of Syrians into our county, was created…