https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Relaxing floodplain restrictions doesn’t make sense

By Jim Rokosch, President, Bitterrooters for Planning Have you ever seen the Los Angeles River? I’ve only seen photos, but they were enough for me to move “visiting the Los Angeles River” from my bucket list to my chuck it list. If you haven’t, don’t bother putting it on your own bucket list because it’s…

Letters to the Editor

Change we need

Every Ravalli County property owner should look closely at their property tax bill. If you do your blood will begin to boil, and for good reason. You’ll see a brand new tax called the “Judgement Levy–Big S.” “Big S” stands for Big Sky, as in the property developers that our fiscally imprudent county commissioners struck…

Better business ideas

At Thanksgiving, the Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) chose to approve the waste-water permit requested for a nebulous big-box store south of Hamilton. Many in the Valley will see that as “business as usual,” that is, betraying the natural environment and the traditional social and economic construct of the area in favor of big…

Buy locally and support our economy

Locally owned businesses support the communities that support them. Ten great reasons to shop locally: 1. Significantly more money re-circulates in our community when you buy from locally owned, rather than nationally owned, businesses. Locally owned businesses purchase from other local businesses, service providers and farms. Purchasing locally helps grow other businesses as well as…

Thanks for supporting Sprinkle Pink

October was breast cancer awareness month and MDMH encouraged local men (Mammo Men) to raise funds for mammograms by wearing costumes and seeking donations. 2014 was another great year for Sapphire Lutheran Homes’ Mammo Man team comprised of Lee Goldman and myself. Lee wrote another original rap song, and he as “MC Mammo” and I…

Honored to recognize veterans

Stevensville Garden Club members recently honored veterans on November 11, 2014 at the annual Veterans’ Day Dinner held at the Hamilton High School. Hundreds attended this “special day of recognition” to all military service persons, past and present. The garden club held a workshop November 5th and crafted 60 floral table designs for the occasion….

Walmart will destroy our valley

I’ve been hearing all kinds of arguments pro and con over box stores. This isn’t about I can’t afford to go to Missoula for clothes, there’s all kinds of 2nd hand stores here. Yes I shop there and get compliments on my clothes. If you need clothes there’s your answer. This isn’t about property rights,…

Welcome to Ravalli County, Walmart

I usually reserve my opinions about economic development in our county to one-on-one conversations. However, after all the “totally unfounded rhetoric” about the possibility of “Evil Walmart” coming, at long last, to Ravalli County, I decided to throw my “oar in the water” and join the two outstanding, and accurate, letters from Jason Cornelius and…

Wants a Walmart

Kudos to Mr. Cornelius and Mr. Freeman for their letters to you in the November 19th edition. I’m not a native of Hamilton nor Montana, however, I have lived in Hamilton for a good number of years, to the point where I am now 76. There seems to be a segment in Hamilton of quite…

Snarling doesn’t work

The interlocking group of people here in the Three Mile area has been using anger as a means of control. Fortunately, it isn’t working this time. No amount of snarling will change the fact that the Three Mile Gravity system is owned by the Bitter Root Irrigation District and the district is legally required to…

Walmart not the problem

In response to Carla McDonald’s rebuttal to my last letter criticizing the Star’s coverage of the “big-box store” controversy, I’m amused she took five paragraphs to say absolutely nothing … other than insinuate I was somehow blaming her for the way the paper ran her initial letter, and that I was falsely assuming there were…