Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Red Cross of MT recognizes volunteers

By Diane Wright, Executive Director, American Red Cross of Montana During National Volunteer Week, April 12-18, the American Red Cross of Montana honored its volunteers and the work they do in communities across our state. We’re also encouraging Montanans to be part of our lifesaving mission by signing up to volunteer. Red Cross volunteers are…

Letters to the Editor

Doesn’t read Star, but…

For the third week in a row I have received phone calls asking if I have read the Star. And for the third week in a row, I have had to honestly report that I had not. But last night it was delivered. I stopped reading the Star when the reporting did not match up…

Good money after bad?

Valerie Stamey. Ring a bell? She still owes over $17K for fraud in South Carolina from several years back. Her pals, our county commissioners, hired her because they liked her “attitude” (never mind qualifications or experience). They paid her a hefty salary, $1000 per week which is way above the Ravalli County average, while she…

Recycling incentives important to Montana economy

Recycling helps individuals and communities in Montana create a resource from items that would otherwise be trash. Recycling also provides jobs. A 2004 study showed recycling created more than 300 full-time jobs across the state. Since that time, Montana’s recycling rate has gone from 12% to nearly 17% in 2012. However, recycling can be difficult…

Helena Update – Week 14

The hallway wrangling spilled onto the House floor this week. Couple of highly contentious bills were trying to be maneuvered by means other than just voting on the floor. Things like holding a bill in committee to the last moment before a deadline. The rules book was out several times and the rules committee had…

Support for organ donation program

The Children’s Organ Transplant Association (COTA) was founded in 1986 when residents of Bloomington, Indiana, rallied around a toddler who needed a life-saving liver transplant. In less than eight weeks, the community raised $100,000 to place the boy on the organ waiting list. But the child died before an organ became available. Those community volunteers,…

Support for CSKT Water Compact

Standing up for what is right isn’t always easy, and with an issue as contentious and important as water use, there is bound to be conflict and disagreement—which is why I think Senator Fred Thomas deserves to be thanked for his service to Montana and for his vote in support of the CSKT Water Compact….

Support for CSKT Water Compact

The Bitterroot Valley includes a diverse community of businesses and a wide variety of socio-economic backgrounds. A fundamental requirement to business success and property values alike is an assurance that core assets are viable and reasonably reliable year after year. For those of us involved in Bitterroot agriculture, arguably the valley’s largest industry, we have…

Public servants deserve respect

Thank you for the thorough coverage on town council, county commission and other community matters. It makes a difference and it is appreciated. The article “Stevensville two-topic special meeting legal” (March 25, 2015) took my breath away! Mr. Clayton Floyd, your written statement to the town clerk about your views and concerns over the special…

Thanks from Beta Sigma Phi

The Ravalli County Beta Sigma Phi chapters thank the citizens and businesses of the Bitterroot Valley for their support of our annual Good Friday Tulip Sale. Because of your generosity, we are able to make a sizable donation to MAPS Media Institute for their summer program. We are grateful for the wonderful support and helpfulness…

Productive session, for some

Oh, it has been a productive session! Some of the party planks from the last session, are drafted into Law, and will be approved by Governor Bullock. Some will be vetoed. But come next session, with even more people in the big tent of Tea Party Central wing of the Montana Republican Party, and either…