Bitterroot Star Ads Census Jobs Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Candidate forces voter to cross over for first time

By Bob Brown, Whitefish, former Montana Secretary of State and State Senate President   I am saddened to write this opinion piece, but after much thought, I must. In my long life I have never voted for a Democrat for president. That will change this year. The country can survive Hillary’s chronic deceptiveness. It might…

Letters to the Editor

Lone Rock School alive and well

The Lone Rock School District has been continuously providing a quality education to the residents of the Bitterroot Valley since 1885.  Whether it is learning to read in first grade or working with robotics in the middle school, the education is excellent and is delivered in a most cost effective way. Earlier this year we…

What should be done with our forests

The Bitterroot Fires of 2000 were still smoldering when the Montana State DNRC Foresters were out on the Sula State Forest sections developing what wound up being an extremely successful timber salvage and site rehabilitation program. Now, to accomplish similar results on the Roaring Lion Fire Area, the Bitterroot National Forest and the State need…

Politics and the military

I’m a bit confused with the guest column that U.S. Rep. Ryan Zinke wrote and was published in the 8/5/16 Missoulian. He states that politics has no role in the military and wants both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to apologize to the families and service members they have offended. Most of us know what…

Health centers providing essential service

National Health Center Week is a national campaign that runs August 7-13th with the goal of raising awareness about the mission and accomplishments of America’s health centers over the course of more than five decades. One of the bright spots in America’s healthcare system, health centers started over 50 years ago as a pilot project…

Response to ‘a nudge to Will Rogers’

Will Rogers was certainly rolling in his grave when last Wednesday’s edition of the Star hit the press. Mr. Richardson quoted “everybody is ignorant only on different subjects.” So true! I know little about the BRID controversy, or Citizens for Fair Water. But I do know that since Mr. Rokosch left his position at the…

Support for ‘Decision America’ tour

I am sure many of you do not realize that Franklin Graham (Billy Graham’s son) is holding outdoor rallies on the capitol grounds of every state capitol in America throughout 2016. As of July 19th they have spoken in 32 states, with a total attendance of about 150,000. The purpose of the “Decision America” tour…

A nudge to Will Rogers

To the younger generation of readers, there was a fella named Will Rogers, who some years back had a newspaper column and a radio program that resonated with the common folks of his day (google “Will Rogers Quotes”). You seasoned citizens may remember Will’s quote: “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” Now, I know…

Re: West Fork

Thank you for Chuck Stranahan’ s article  on the West Fork of the Bitterroot. I have fished this small river for 30 years and the last 13 we spend our summers on the West Fork. The number of dead and dying fish I see on the river has dramatically escalated in the last 3 years.and…

Not really a problem

This is in response to the lady who thinks that those of us who carry our dogs in the back of pickups are stupid owners. Rather than sit behind your computer and tell us rural folks how much you disagree with how we do things you should take a few minutes and talk with those…

CFW, have you no shame?

It has been mentioned before how the “massive four-member movement” (thank you Willie) of folks who call themselves “Citizens for Fair Water” have offered nothing but Rescinding Petitions, and False Information in their war against the “Three Mile Irrigators” and their forming a Subdistrict. TO SAY AGAIN, “The Citizens for Fair Water have not offered…