Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Something must be done about local dams

By Dallas D. Erickson, SOS the Bitterroot, Stevensville   For years I have been involved in the area of disaster preparation (which includes mitigation) and response through various organizations. As I have reviewed the possible disaster scenarios it has been plain to me and others that one of the greatest disasters for the Bitterroot Valley…

Letters to the Editor

Republican Party taken to task

I question the Republican State Party for initiating a special convention fee. As one of the individuals interested in replacing Congressman Zinke, I feel obligated to respond to the Republican State Party’s action to require a fee of $1,740 in order to run in the special election. Democrats do not have this requirement. Unfortunately, this…

Let’s help our homeless

On January 26 & 27 volunteers will be working to connect people struggling with housing insecurity and homelessness to resources to prevent homelessness and alleviate housing insecurity. Annually the Point in Time Count takes place during the last weeks of January to better understand who is homeless and what services they are using or…

Suggestion for Star

I am an 11-year-old Boy Scout from Troop 1115 in Florence. I read your newspaper every once in a while, and I really like it. I am writing to you today because I believe, to attract more juvenile readers, it would be very nice to have a section of a page devoted to comic strips….

Scary stuff

We see Trump rising up from the ashes of Nazism. The majority of Americans do not accept him as their president. We see white supremists saluting him chanting “HeiI Trump.” It is not acceptable for him to have a close relationship with Vladimir Putin. Putin is the richest man in the world. This can be…

Re: Electoral College

Back in 1969, by a whopping vote of 339-70, Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives united to pass legislation to do away with the electoral college. A companion bill, co-sponsored by Montana Senator Mike Mansfield and supported by President Nixon, carried the Senate by a strong vote of 53-34. That, though, was…

Thanks from Share Tree

Stevensville Christmas Share Tree Program would like to thank the following on serving 427 local children this year: Linda Page & family Bitterroot Family Church The Hunting Shack The Dennis & Phyllis Washington Foundation Farmers State Bank Rocky Mountain Bank TrailWest Bank (inside Super One) Missoula Federal Credit Union Ravalli Republic Newspaper – Perry Backus…

About safety pins

As a 60 year old, 4th generation Montanan, I grew up with my mother and grandmother wearing safety pins on their dresses. I currently have two safety pins on my shirt. When anyone in our family finds a safety pin, anywhere, we save it for use later. Our family story is, God provides safety pins…

Support for Stevi land swap

Stevensville has a wonderful opportunity to create a great public site that will benefit the Bitterroot valley and beyond. The town council of Stevensville will soon make a decision that could solve the difficult situation of public access to the Bitterroot River at the Stevensville bridge. The situation involves many decades of unknowing public trespass…

Global warning?

Global warming, or global warning … which is it? This country – as it is now compared to how I grew up and lived my life over the last 86 years – makes me cringe at what I see is coming in the future. I grew up on a farm in Minnesota with no electricity,…

‘The Russians are coming!’

Since there is considerable “evidence” piling up that Russia is now contributing to the downfall of America, it has become plain to me that I am (and have been for years) an unwitting dupe of these nefarious scoundrels–namely, that I use (and have for years) Kaspersky anti-virus software on my computer. How could I be…