Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

More questions than answers for REC member

By Suzanna McDougal, Hamilton I attended my first Ravalli Electric Co-op REC annual meeting in June. The Corvallis Gym held many members. I came with questions. At one point the members were asked if anyone had a question. Of the couple hundred folks that were there, no one responded. I believe that was because there…

Letters to the Editor

Truth about infrastructure spending

Questions are still being asked about infrastructure funding in the 2015 Legislative session. It is a complicated story and worth explaining the full tale. The entire infrastructure debate was about the Governor wanting to put the state of Montana in debt to pay for his wish list and wants versus using available cash to pay…

Praise for parole, probation staff

I wish to offer fair tribute to the Ravalli County Parole and Probation Office and staff, i.e., Rayla, here in Hamilton, namely, Kristina Bessenyey, Matt Moore and Allison Wilson, on behalf of Ken Syms. They have always treated Ken well and, during the process with due respect and honor as a man. They have truly…

Unfairly accused

Wow. To learn that I am a liar, and that I miss informed people on the ditch really hurts. I was trying to do what I felt and still do feel is for the best of the water users. Some stated that the ditch owns the line and must therefore maintain it. Since when do…

Legislators worked together for public safety, privacy

While news coverage of the 2015 Legislative Session focused on high profile and often contentious issues, legislators in both parties worked together diligently to pass bills I brought forward to improve public safety, protect privacy, and strengthen consumer-protection laws. Leading up to session, the Montana Department of Justice crafted an ambitious and important legislative agenda…

Poor decision for mountain bikers

After eight years of analysis, public comment, and further analysis, the Bitterroot National Forest (BNF) has at last issued a Record of Decision on the Travel Plan for the forest. Some of the most significant impacts of the decision relate to the types of activities that will be allowed in the Blue Joint and Sapphire…

No to permissive levy

At the May 21 Stevensville Committee of the Whole meeting, the only agenda item was the employee insurance package for the 2015-2016 fiscal year. The current employees have health, eye and dental insurance. Once again, one of the three options brought up by council member Bill Perrin was to vote on a permissive levy to…

Three Mile irrigation users

Say goodbye to small parcel irrigation in the Three Mile Gravity System if this Sub-District proposed by BRID passes and goes into effect. While you are snugly sitting there thinking it is only going to cost you $10 an acre, in the BRID proposal, it says Agriculture (AG) acres will take precedence for water. Who…

How about getting it straight?

Erin, Erin, Erin. I will defend your right to speak freely and say what you wish, but can you at least get your facts straight? In your last letter (dated 5-19-15) you state that you have paid for 30 years and will own the pipeline free and clear. Take the time to look up MCA…

Help Baby Harbrige

A Chili Feed, Silent Auction and Dessert Auction will be held Friday, June 5 starting at 5 p.m. at the Darby Community Clubhouse to raise money for unborn Baby Harbrige and the unexpected bills of her parents Cody and RaLea. Doors open at 4 p.m. for viewing all silent and live auction items. Chili dinner…

Knights of Columbus thank you

Knights of Columbus Council 13093 of Stevensville wants to thank all who purchased tickets on our Economic Stimulator Raffle. Winners are Larry Neel, first prize, Brad Paulson, second prize, and Gail Dahl, third prize. Dave Weisbeck Stevensville