Bitterroot Star Ads Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Collaboration necessary for progress

By Edward Monnig, Missoula In preface to commenting on Stewart Brandborg’s opinion piece on wilderness issues (December 16), I would like to acknowledge with gratitude the service that he and others like Howard Zahniser, Mardy and Olaus Murie, and Aldo Leopold rendered in establishing the framework of our National Wilderness Preservation System. These men and…

Letters to the Editor

Some hope for global warming solution

Happy Holidays! What a great Christmas it’s been. It doesn’t get better than spending time with family and friends, and skiing in deep powder. Even got a couple nice presents—some warm socks from my wife, and from my sister, a pencil drawing of my mom from 1944 during her basic training in Fort Leonard Wood,…

Junk science

Global warming being caused by greenhouse gases = global BS! Let’s apply some logic to the theory that greenhouse gas increases cause global warming. If greenhouse gas increases cause global warming, then it is logical to assume that decreases in greenhouse gases should cause global cooling! Well, data from satellites, weather balloons, and ground stations…

Compelled to respond

And yet another letter to the editor that needs a response. Where to begin? The claim was made that responsible gun owners produce less crime and that “libs” paint them as vigilantes shooting wildly in the streets. I have never heard or read such statements. Here are some murder rate statistics for a few countries…

Random questions

It was asked, “Why would I believe a Muslim?” I ask, why would I believe a Christian or want them in this country? I have read the Bible that says to stone homosexuals, to destroy nations of unbelievers, and to cut off body parts. I have personally been harmed by “Christians” far more than any…

Re: willingness to meet

First, Quran 5.80 says those who befriend unbelievers will abide in hell. It also says they can lie. So why would I believe a Muslim? You want peace, what about the baby shower given to the Muslim in San Bernadino by the very people she killed? Muslims aren’t interested in heart to heart talks, only…

Counterpoint

The Gibneys and I seem to be on a roll — not a bad thing, because we all need to air our thoughts. That’s how we get to know each other and ourselves, and that’s how positive change is possible. If the US is supposed to be the most advanced country in the world, why…

Clarification

I would like to thank the Bitterroot Star for publishing the excellent article regarding the Board of Health’s consideration of the birth defects and other health issues on newborn babies. There was one error in the article for which I am to blame. Unfortunately, I did not make it clear when I talked to Michael…

Re: climate change

While Paris climate talks are underway, here at home Republicans are becoming ever-more isolated, marginalized, and discredited when it comes to climate change. They’re still in denial and refuse to take action. Long ago they lost their case to scientists and climate data. Then they thumbed their nose at our venerable military which validated the…

More guns would help

It was a very tragic event that took place in CA where 14 people died. If someone had a gun they could have defended themselves and perhaps a few others. Those who started the shooting would have fled or died. Did you know that in CA it is illegal to have a gun and bullets…

Willingness to meet essential for peace

Out-quoted, by golly! And me a lapsed academic! Well done, Donna! But I can’t credit you as an expert unless you are willing to meet and talk openly and have gotten to know personally at least two Muslims in your lifetime. Quoting is easy, especially with the internet handy. What is perhaps less easy is…