https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

CMC board decision does disservice to community

By Dale Woolhiser, Missoula As an alumnus of the University of Montana who, through charitable giving and volunteerism, supports much within the Missoula community and across Montana, I am offended by the recent decision of the Community Medical Center’s Board. The Board has reached, after what I believe was an extensive amount of research and…

Letters to the Editor

Three Mile Center nominations still open

At the Three Mile Community Center business meeting on November 20, it was decided that officer nominations would still be accepted up to the next business meeting on December 18. To submit nominations, call Allen Marden, 701-425-2944 or Ed Spencer, 406-214-6331. Absentee ballots are available for members. Coffee hour is M-W-F from 7:30 to 9…

Failed fair levy is wake up call

Well, the election is over and the fair levy failed. Perhaps everyone “bit the bullet” so to speak, even the fair board. Let’s look at things to consider if it had passed. First, property owners would, once again, pay the bills. Letting all in free, for instance. Why, when the parking lots were overflowing and…

Walmart provides choice

Regarding the controversy over Walmart (maybe) coming to Hamilton. Author/advisor Alexander Green perhaps explained it best: “Business is about freedom and individual choice, not coercion. If you don’t like a particular company or its policies, you don’t have to work for them, sell to them, or buy from them. Every business exists to serve people.”…

Keep commenting on FS projects

This is a follow-up on the comments sent to the Forest Service regarding the 2700-acre logging proposal in the Como to Lost Horse area. In case you didn’t see it in the paper, the Forest Service has put a stop the appeal process. They have been working on this phase for some time, but all…

Paying dearly for wilderness

Wanna buy a ‘W’? Get ready to pay dearly if you do. Our Montana congressional delegation is on a night ride to do a dirty deed to Montana wildlands. Under cover of the “must pass” Defense funding bill they want to sneak land management legislation that has not and, given their resort to such a…

Hope for Title X services

Our community is very grateful to have two incoming Ravalli County Commissioners who recognize the value of a county family planning clinic. These two gentlemen, Mr. Hawk and Mr. Schallenberger, have pledged to restore Title X funding that the clinic runs on. We know they are honorable men whose word is their bond. We clearly…

Stop forced organ harvesting

Thank you, Bitteroot Star, for your work through the years to help us become more aware of events and concerns in our state, nation and our world. I also want to thank Congressman Daines who was among the first of a total of 230 Representatives who have co-sponsored H. Res. 281 “expressing concern over persistent…

Snarling?

Mr. Baty: It is 2:45 AM, I just returned from the second call tonight for help. Twice tonight the volunteers of the Three Mile Fire District were asked to stop what they were doing (most sleeping), to answer the call for help from residents of the District. I cannot sleep, it happens some times when…

Remove climbing debris in Mill Creek Canyon

I climbed in the Bitterroot’s Mill Creek Canyon decades ago. This year in returning to the canyon I was surprised by finding over 60 fixed routes and some 500 permanently placed bolts. It reeks of illicit and disrespectful behavior. In the immediate area golden eagles nest as do peregrines. All of the routes are within…

More worthless rules?

In response to your article, “Stevi changes weekend curfew.” I am so glad to see Stevi encouraging locking the kids up at 10pm. After all, kids should be heard but not seen, or is it seen but not heard? Punishing all kids for whom? No reason for them to be outside after ten since “there…