Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Face facts about state budget

By Montana Governor Steve Bullock   As governor of Montana it’s my job to responsibly manage the state through everything from a difficult fire season and the challenges posed by increasing drought conditions to making sure we take advantage of the opportunities presented by our growing outdoor recreation economy. This includes making tough decisions during…

Letters to the Editor

What is the real intent?

We live in a gorgeous valley with a world class river running through the middle of it. The river runs through both private and public land which limits the access to the public portions. Public access is our right and we must defend and preserve that privilege for the future generations. Good access is very…

Can’t agree with Essen

I typically vote Republican – and I agree with the final statement in Marty Essen’s recent opinion article “The Cult of Republicanism”. I think the statement should be expanded to say that education is our best hope for keeping everyone sane, including the GOP. That’s all I can possibly agree with in his article.  …

Essen wrong

It’s time to call Marty Essen for what he is: a “leftist.” Marty’s recent writings in the Bitterroot Star smack of real hatred toward Republicans and/or conservatives!   After reading his rant about the Republican cult, I can’t help but suggest to Marty that he should consider whether conservatives can legitimately repeat some of the…

Sticking with the right

When I was a child we were taught that mankind was 9,000 years old and descended from the apes. Back in the 70’s a Time magazine cover suggested that we might be entering another ice age. Pardon my skepticism but from everything I have read and heard through the years, the world has been in…

Mean dogs should be restrained

Today I took my dog to the park, he was on a leash. There was another dog there, as it turns out, not on a leash. When this dog saw my dog, he/she jumped up and began barking and running towards my dog. This dog attacked my dog, I was yelling, “No, no” and the…

Economic woes not caused by local businesses

I’m writing in response to Bradford Larkin’s comments entitled “Something wrong with this picture.” When reading it I discovered that I still have a certain pet following me around… it’s a pet peeve. I don’t plan on keeping it, but it apparently is still lingering about, and it’s called Dislike of Misrepresentation.   Mr. Larkin…

Costs mounting for BRID irrigators

Citizens For Fair Water, Inc. (0263125) Public Benefit with Members, registered with the State of Montana, June 16, 2015, as a Type 52 non-profit Montana corporation having one (1) Officer, and three (3) Directors. The current Registered Agent: James Rokosh, with Directors: Bob Cress, Ron Wandler and Shane Brooks.   The following information is a…

Time to weigh in on cell tower

Residents of Hamilton: on July 24 at City Hall, 223 S. 2nd Street, at 5:30 p.m., the Hamilton City Zoning Board of Adjustment, six members, will hold their meeting. Please attend as a decision to approve or disapprove of Verizon Wireless to build a cell tower, road, maintenance building, fencing and more in Riverview Cemetery,…

Enough is enough

Fishing on the Bitterroot River has changed considerably in the last few years, and it’s not for the better. Not only has the flood of boats become relentless, the day of the week no longer matters. It is just as busy on Wednesday, as it is on Saturday. But more significantly, the courtesy and ethics…

New insurance rating saves us money

Thanks to the Stevensville Fire Department, the price of our homeowners insurance has dropped 28%. We even received a substantial rebate on the remainder of our current annual policy. Stevensville Fire has made significant improvements in fire suppression that are proven and reliable predictors of future fire losses. As a result our “Public Protection Classification”…