https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Goodness prevailed at veterans event

By Jean Israel, Hamilton I read the letter from Tamara Hall of Bozeman who was our keynote speaker for the Bitterroot Veterans Night Celebration and Concert on November 11 at Hamilton High School. Unlike Ms. Hall, I met with Jack Barry many times to plan this event. Yes, I too was shocked and dismayed to…

Letters to the Editor

Thanks for supporting Sprinkle Pink

October was breast cancer awareness month and MDMH encouraged local men (Mammo Men) to raise funds for mammograms by wearing costumes and seeking donations. 2014 was another great year for Sapphire Lutheran Homes’ Mammo Man team comprised of Lee Goldman and myself. Lee wrote another original rap song, and he as “MC Mammo” and I…

Honored to recognize veterans

Stevensville Garden Club members recently honored veterans on November 11, 2014 at the annual Veterans’ Day Dinner held at the Hamilton High School. Hundreds attended this “special day of recognition” to all military service persons, past and present. The garden club held a workshop November 5th and crafted 60 floral table designs for the occasion….

Walmart will destroy our valley

I’ve been hearing all kinds of arguments pro and con over box stores. This isn’t about I can’t afford to go to Missoula for clothes, there’s all kinds of 2nd hand stores here. Yes I shop there and get compliments on my clothes. If you need clothes there’s your answer. This isn’t about property rights,…

Welcome to Ravalli County, Walmart

I usually reserve my opinions about economic development in our county to one-on-one conversations. However, after all the “totally unfounded rhetoric” about the possibility of “Evil Walmart” coming, at long last, to Ravalli County, I decided to throw my “oar in the water” and join the two outstanding, and accurate, letters from Jason Cornelius and…

Wants a Walmart

Kudos to Mr. Cornelius and Mr. Freeman for their letters to you in the November 19th edition. I’m not a native of Hamilton nor Montana, however, I have lived in Hamilton for a good number of years, to the point where I am now 76. There seems to be a segment in Hamilton of quite…

Snarling doesn’t work

The interlocking group of people here in the Three Mile area has been using anger as a means of control. Fortunately, it isn’t working this time. No amount of snarling will change the fact that the Three Mile Gravity system is owned by the Bitter Root Irrigation District and the district is legally required to…

Walmart not the problem

In response to Carla McDonald’s rebuttal to my last letter criticizing the Star’s coverage of the “big-box store” controversy, I’m amused she took five paragraphs to say absolutely nothing … other than insinuate I was somehow blaming her for the way the paper ran her initial letter, and that I was falsely assuming there were…

Support for Walmart

I am totally fed up with all the hype about “No Box Store” and all the comments made about business downtown being ruined. I think the competition for our dollar would be a healthy move. I also don’t believe that a store like Walmart or any other box store would be stupid enough to ruin…

Incompetence rewarded

I have a question for the people who re-elected Jeff Burrows for county commissioner. Mr. Burrows is one of three commissioners who appointed Valerie Stamey as treasurer, a decision that cost us, the taxpayers, more than $120,000 in damage control. With that in mind, if Mr. Burrows were a Democrat or Independent instead of a…

Say no to ‘big box’

I immediately fell in love with Hamilton and am waiting for my home. I grew up in rural Nevada and have seen first hand how “BIG BOX” stores killed my little town. First the little Hallmark stores died, to be replaced with an empty building. Next was the hardware stores and the ladies dress shops,…