Bitterroot Star Ads Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Irrigators’ ‘Stupid Bowl’ about to begin

By TC Richardson, Stevensville I never thought I’d be confessing my stupidity in the newspapers, but I just found out that I am suing myself and am likely to pay for both lawyers! My only defense is that it didn’t happen all at once; more like the recipe for boiling a frog, it happens over…

Letters to the Editor

Put election info in both papers

Perhaps in recent years, a Ravalli County Attorney has communicated to the Ravalli Commissioners to follow their duty and contract to place county advertisements in a newspaper which is being published in Ravalli County. Perhaps a County Attorney said that it’s getting more difficult to absolutely argue that the Ravalli Republic is in fact mostly…

Thanks for public service

We would like to take this opportunity to say a well deserved “thank you” to Gene Mim Mack, Bill Perrin, and Tim Hunter. We appreciate the time and effort that you gave to our Stevensville community, serving as mayor and town council members. Gene became mayor at a time when our community was facing many…

Outraged

I am outraged and apoplectic! These damn commissioners need to be sued individually for failure to “fairly and honestly” represent the citizens of Ravalli County. Let’s take it out of their wallets for a change. There must be some kind of law to protect us from these scavengers. We need to put some numbers showing…

Re: Legal notices

Having served in the U.S. Navy for 26 years and having been frequently involved with the awarding of contracts, I am well aware that contracts can be awarded to other than the lowest bidder. It appears to me, however, that our County Commissioners threw the process totally out the window with virtually no justification while…

Apparent fiscal irresponsibility

This letter regards the 12/23 Ravalli County Commissioners 5-0 vote to pay a lot more money in 2016 to place County Display and County Legal ads in fewer circulated newspapers. For instance, with the quote from the Bitterroot Star, $3,000 would buy 1,000 column inches of 2016 Display Ads about the upcoming Federal, State and…

Praise for Zinke

This year, access to Montana’s natural resources was threatened in Congress by agendas that simply don’t understand our traditions and heritage. The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) became an unnecessary political football, officially expiring on September 30, 2015, despite pleas from Republicans and Democrats alike for the program to remain intact. This year our…

Zinke’s gotta go

Our congressman Ryan Zinke must be applauded for his legislation on behalf of veterans. On the other hand some of the other legislation he supports is not beneficial to Montanans. He is sponsoring a bill that requires a person challenging Forest Service decisions to post a high bond when contesting government projects. This bill limits…

Time to revisit growth policy

A motorsports park on the north end of the county fairgrounds might be a good idea. It would provide a convenient location close to town for people who enjoy racing. Or it might be a bad idea. The noise alone might be enough to decrease property values of homes nearby. It’s hard to say if…

Support for Collective Impact

Collective Impact is the commitment of a group of stakeholders from different sectors committed to a common agenda for solving a specific social problem, using a structured form of collaboration. The concept of collective impact hinges on the idea that in order for organizations to create lasting solutions to social problems on a large-scale, they…

Logging and politics

There is a saying that has been well used up, but I am going to repeat it anyhow, here it is: the guy told the other fellow, be patient, things could be worse, so the fellow was patient and sure enough, things got worse. I am talking about the lame brains we have elected to…