Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Efforts to combat sexual assault make up next chapter

By Missoula Mayor John Engen and UM President Royce Engstrom This week, Missoula residents are reading about our community in Jon Krakauer’s book, “Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town.” Around the nation, many others are learning about Missoula for the first time as the book hits the shelves and is covered…

Letters to the Editor

Plea to liberals and non-thinkers

This message is for all liberals and/or non-thinkers who were too mentally handicapped to recognize blatant Administration lies before voting in the last presidential election! Those apparent lies include: 1) Health insurance costs will be reduced by the Affordable Care Act, 2) If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, 3) The Benghazi…

Final Wrap Up on 64th Legislature

The final week had a lot of the same atmosphere and feel of tension as did the first week when the rule book was out several times. Trouble with the rule book is one word – attorneys! They each seem to interrupt it towards their own perceptions. Rules were established and silver bullets made their…

Courageous story

It is a privilege to live in a community where the local weekly paper headlines a story about a man exploring and honoring his gender identity in the open. Kudos to the “Bitterroot Star” for carrying the story prominently, to Russ Lawrence for writing the article, and especially to Clinton Rusthoven for his courage in…

Praise for Florence Fire Dept.

I recently received a flyer in the mail from “Concerned Citizens For An Honest Fire Dept.” It had no return address or contact information as to just who these concerned citizens are. It goes on for 8 pages to be a “witch hunt” to demoralize and cut down the members of the Florence Fire Department,…

Expedient or lawful?

At every level of government, we are seeing decisions made on the basis of political expediency rather than on what is lawful. That is not how this Nation was founded, and no respect is due those who conduct themselves unlawfully! Robert Gairing Stevensville

Clarification on voting record

There are some comments regarding Complaints about Stevensville Government. I would like to help clarify the issue if I may. I think the confusion is that there were two votes taken on the 12th of March Town Council meeting. One was for Resolution 366 and one was to approve the revision to the Town of…

Support for Atkins

Hopefully, many of you have been seeing and hearing the many exciting and positive things happening in the Darby schools. Strong feelings of pride and accomplishment among students, staff, parents and the greater community for our academic and athletic achievements are undeniable. I believe this trend can and will continue with positive and engaged leadership…

Another view on taxes

Regarding “Tax day thoughts,” I read Mary Fahnestock-Thomas’ contrast between two different perspectives. 1. A kid with ice cream and a parent eating one third of it. The one third being the tax portion of the kid’s property. 2. A parent or someone with ice cream money but keeping one third of the money (tax…

Travel plan is balancing act

I’ve read comments from motorized users and cyclists regarding the BNF’s travel plan. A theme of denied access and rights taken away is common. Being locked out or being treated unfairly are common themes. You won’t often hear any references to soils, water quality, impacts to others, displacement of wildlife, laws/standards that govern the lands,…

Tax day thoughts

So today is “tax day” and I just saw a popular comedian saying you can help your kids understand taxes by eating a third of their ice cream cone. That’s cute, but it’s unjust. Paying taxes is more like keeping back a third of their ice-cream money to make sure they have shoes or school…