Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Time to create a new high tech vision for our National Forests.

By Margaret Gorski, Stevensville   Senator Daines, you have been in the press a lot lately; 1) on the need for forest management reform to reduce the risk of wildfire and 2) about the High Tech Industry conference you recently held in Missoula. Thank you for promoting a call for action to solve Montana’s problems….

Letters to the Editor

A better way

I have followed with interest the letters and editorials generated by the current fire season. The wild card which current forest policy hasn’t addressed is “smoke.” I’m hearing that people have had enough. As a forester I hate to see a political solution because there is a better way.   I totally understand the role…

The American Family

Being part of a family means accepting certain changes to how we conduct our affairs in life. Parents, siblings, in-laws, etc must be dealt with in a fashion that not only keeps the family strong but insures the continued life of the individual.   America is a family without a pedigree, herein lays our strength,…

Help hold the line

It has been a long and challenging fire season here in Montana. Our friends, family members, and neighbors have lost their homes, livestock, forage, and critical infrastructure. And above all, we have tragically lost the lives of two wildland firefighters.   With over one million acres having burned or currently on fire, the situation…

Poor management

For over a week I have had firefighters telling me that a longtime plan has been to burn Bass Creek towards the old Kootenai burn for fire management purposes. Alarmed, my husband went to the Lolo incident trailer to discuss these rumors and each time he went he was told that by no means…

Manage forests for all, etc.

To start I want to thank the following people. Jerry Haslip for his intelligent response to Obama is a Muslim, Dallas Erickson for being right – we do need to manage our forests, and Gary Taggart for a very thoughtful and honest letter explaining the service you all did for the community. Frank Novotny, I…

2017 will be remembered as a big fire year

We are living through an unprecedented fire season and editorial pages are overloaded with comments. Although many express appreciation, regrettably they are overshadowed by those that are negative, point fingers and polarize.   Loggers blame the fires on the failure to log public lands. Environmental groups counter by claiming that much of the…

Mayor Crews deserves our thanks

The people of Stevensville owe a big debt of gratitude to Mayor Jim Crews and members of the city council for finding a solution to the river access issue. Think of the variety of people who benefit from this good deed: the business community, guides and outfitters, fisherman, river recreators and the general public….

You can’t prevent forest fires

Facts are out of style, I know. That is not new regarding forest fires. Smokey the Bear started saying “only you can prevent forest fires” over fifty years ago, and it’s always been a lie. Also, the enduring, widely marketed, taxpayer funded Smokey ad campaign incites the misdirected finger pointing blame game.   So, when…

I trust Trump

I trust Trump.   I trust Trump to be exactly as he has repeatedly shown himself to be.   The thing about trust is that it doesn’t work very well if you are trusting someone to be like you, or to be like you want them to be, or even to be like they say…

Left is wrong, right?

Add mine to responses to Mrs. R. Elaine Redman, who is explicitly not a “Cult Republican.” Unfortunately, Elaine had to break the code of the “Silent Majority” by speaking out in the Bitterroot Star’s Opinion section at the risk of become a target for those baby killing (body parts for profit), entitlement minded, jobless, Russia…