Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Governor’s budget is a balanced approach

By Heather O’Loughlin, Co-Director, Montana Budget and Policy Center The qualify of life we enjoy in Montana is directly connected to the public investments we make in our communities – modern schools and quality education for our children, safe roads, updated water and sewer systems, and an affordable college education for our future workforce. However,…

Letters to the Editor

Save our park!

Springtime is near and soon children and families will be headed to Claudia Driscoll Park to play at Canyon Hideaway, climb on that tank in front of the National Guard Armory Building or listen to a concert at the Band Shell. Everybody loves a great park and we have one right in our town. There…

Fear

The word fear is being used a lot lately in all forms of media and I guess it is time for me to make a contribution. But first I need to set the stage. I am 75 years old, the oldest of three, and was born into a family business of a dance hall and…

It’s good to shake things up

I did not vote for Mr. Trump, but I have to applaud the general shake-up resulting from his election. People, families, cities, states, countries, and even the world needs a good shake-up now and again to help us reassess our values and goals. Generally, I think that rules, regulations, and organizations grow out of perceived…

Make government work again

I think I speak for most in Montana when I say I am sick and tired of politics. 2016 was an incredibly difficult campaign season to endure, and in 2017 people seem more divided than ever. With the prospect of a special election looming on the Montana horizon we are not out of the woods…

Insulting

Senator Daines’ outlandish demands that Senator Tester immediately endorse Trump’s nominee for Supreme Court Justice is an insult to my intelligence. Isn’t Daines the same Senator who refused to give Obama’s nominee even an interview for nine months? Isn’t Daines part of the party that, before the November election, threatened to never seat a Clinton…

Alike and different

I am grateful to Joyce McConaha for responding last week in this space to my trying to understand why some people were terrified when Obama became President and how they feel about it now. I read that she was angry with him from the beginning because he disparaged this great and generous country; she mistrusted…

Republicans gutting Social Security

Generations behind me voice concerns that there will be nothing in the Social Security Retirement Trust Fund when they retire. I hope the following clarifies the problem so their displeasure is properly directed. First, there is no Retirement Trust Fund. The 1937 Social Security Act did create such a Trust with actual Trustees. Monies paid…

Parents should complain

Let me start by saying I have had many black friends over the years, I am not a racist, nor will I apologize for being white. People should be proud of who they are and where they came from, no matter what their ancestral past. But this push on our schools and colleges to make…

The retail presidency

I just saw a piece of this; truth be told I couldn’t watch any more than that. Steve Bannon, at some town hall, told the audience emphatically that if we wanted our country back we’d need to fight for it each and every day. In the few seconds I could stand to listen to him…

Obama to blame

I am not on the internet but very much wish to communicate my feelings to Mary Fahnestock-Thomas of Hamilton. When candidate Obama said he would fundamentally change our country, the alarm bells went off. I see my country as being the most charitable, generous nation this world has ever known. We have been a beacon…