Bitterroot Star Ads Gail Gutsche For PSC Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Protecting public access, Montana jobs

By Montana Governor Steve Bullock   Earlier this month near the banks of the Yellowstone River, I joined dozens of hunters, anglers, hikers, bikers, boaters, skiers and wildlife watchers to announce a vision for Montana that I believe is one of a governor’s fundamental responsibilities: protecting access to our public lands. Sadly, we’ve seen that…

Letters to the Editor

No new taxes!

When is enough, enough? The push is on to get Ravalli County voters to approve a ballot initiative to assess a tax levy on property owners in order to fund the Ravalli County Museum. This would, hypothetically, allow the museum to continue operations at the current pace and make some needed improvements, while only costing…

Your first, last and only chance

The upcoming Primary Election will be your only chanct to vote on the recommendations made by the Local Government Study Group (LGSG). For whatever reasons, they decided to put this on the Primary ballot in June rather than the General Election ballot in November. No matter what you think of this group, their work or…

Re: Three Mile irrigation system

I would like to respond to Dave Tripp (Star Letters, Wednesday, April 6, 2016). The real issues here are: How can Three Mile Irrigators continue to conduct our business of irrigating in the most efficient manner after the satisfaction of the thirty-year bond? BRID is not part of this struggle. They are the victims of…

Travel Plan benefits elk and trout

Elk and trout don’t get to participate in land management decisions such as travel planning. The new travel plan for the Bitterroot National Forest is important to the future of both elk and trout, as well as those who care about them. Montana Backcountry Hunters and Anglers has spoken on behalf of elk and trout…

Job well done

“Valerie Stamey served in South Carolina” – such sweet words. The Ravalli County Sheriff’s Office, under the leadership of Chris Hoffman, followed up on numerous alleged sightings of Stamey over the past two years. Their diligence and hard work will hopefully bring Stamey to justice. It’s gratifying to know that instead of spending thousands of…

Seeking justice

I’m writing this letter to inform my fellow citizens that in March of 2011, a Missoula district court judge, the Bitterroot Conservation District (BCD), and other state officials perpetrated a fraud upon the Montana Supreme Court (SC), in the attorney fees phase of a SC case that was known as the “Mitchell Slough case.” They…

We can’t afford more refugees

Let’s get real. Yes, we are all descendents of immigrants, most of us from a time when our country was much in need of settlers followed by a time when the Industrial Revolution needed workers. Now we are a country burdened by $19 trillion in debt, much of our industry moved out of the country,…

Jameson wrong about refugees

In response to Jameson: The countries cited by Mr. Gibney weren’t his quote but those of Adam Shaw. These countries need to support their own people, it’s not our responsibility to take in Muslims for any reason. What about the Christians being be-headed and killed by these people? Should we not take the Christians in…

Trees didn’t have to go

Yesterday I saw a tree cutting operation beginning along the Stevensville bike path and then read an article about how NorthWestern Energy is whacking all those trees for the benefit of their power lines. First I heard of it. Whatever happened to public comment on environmental destruction projects? Sorry, but it irritates me when people…

Let the voting begin!

Absentee ballots have been mailed and received. Time to look at the Ravalli County ballot! Soon time to consider the candidates on a sample Primary Election Ballot printed in the newspapers. Not much interested in the Primary Election? Please remember that in December of 2018, all the terms expire for all sitting, and elected in…