https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Horror of abuse through eyes of one child

By Sarah Corbally, DPHHS Child and Family Services Division Administrator   Looking out the window, and cautiously waiting for the moment when his father gets home, the fear begins to set in. Many reoccurring questions start to develop in his head; “What will he do this time? Was it my fault? Will it hurt?” Fear…

Letters to the Editor

Time to discontinue paying Stamey

Do Ravalli County taxpayers realize that with every passing week, we’re paying about $1000 to the discredited, unqualified, no-longer-working-but-still-getting-paid Treasurer Valerie Stamey? This is a waste of our hard earned money. We should remind our Commissioners that the status quo is unacceptable, and that we voters have not forgotten their managerial negligence in hiring Stamey…

Public input important

The county commissioners work in a very transparent manner with public meetings required for the bulk of the business of the county be conducted. This means public meetings for ideas to be considered, funds expended, contracts entered into and all administrative and budget decisions made. Depending upon how the item is put on the…

Repubs keep lying about Obamacare

Republicans are engaged in a well-coordinated effort to deceive Americans about Obamacare. For example, Matt Drudge tweeted that he “just paid the Obamacare penalty for not getting covered.” (Fact: No penalty is due until 2015), and Florida Governor Rick Scott told Fox News about a 20-employee-company that was going out of business because it…

Re: non-GMO farmers market

This is an open letter to the Hamilton Farmers Market Board: I read about your desire to only allow produce growers to bring non-GMO produce to the Market and I was so excited to see that. I have studied and taught others for 12 years about the importance of good nutrition and why I…

Your vote matters more than ever

“I don’t vote. My vote doesn’t matter, so why should I bother?” There’s never been a time in our history where that statement has been so wrong. Today, your vote matters more than ever before, especially on state and local levels. We face an onslaught of what I can only describe as perversions of governance…

Starving sheep show signs of abnormalities

I noticed sheep with brachygnathia superior (underbite) in the photos of animals that were confiscated last week in the Hamilton area. Thank you to the Humane Society and kind people who are fostering the undernourished animals. Seeing the sheep with underbite reminded me to write to repeat that newborn animals with underdeveloped facial bones can…

Hot dog stand enhances corner

This letter is in response to the guest comment written by Celia Grohmann of Missoula, regarding a sculpture piece and the hot dog stand in the center of Stevensville. Let me start by stating, that I too believe that art should be cherished. However, I could not disagree more with Ms. Grohmann’s opinion about the…

Grantsdale school getting religion?

Long-time Bitterroot residents know the sites of many former schools which have been converted to other uses or disappeared completely. My heart rejoiced at the Hamilton Christian Academy’s attempts to give the newly abandoned Grantsdale Public School a reprieve from a similar fate by acquiring it for its own non-denominational educational programs. My kids are…

Questions about dam purchase

As a customer of NorthWestern Energy, I have paid rather close attention to the proposed purchase by NorthWestern Energy of dams owned by Pennsylvania Power and Light. This proposed sale/purchase between them is subject to review by the Montana Public Service Commission. I have questions concerning this transaction and do not believe its approval…

CSKT Water Compact – we must get it right

I am seeing letters, opinions and discussions going back and forth on the potential impacts of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes (CSKT) Water Compact. One of the latest letters implied that although the current agreement may not be acceptable to all and some may be unhappy, the compact may be acceptable enough. This…