https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Rewarding the rich while punishing the poor

By Brian Schweitzer, Former Governor of Montana, Georgetown Lake, Anaconda Recently, AFP (Americans For Prosperity) conducted a sham public meeting in Dillon to condemn extending healthcare coverage to people in Montana who make less than $16,000. AFP is bankrolled by the Koch Brothers. The money spent to provide this healthcare would come 100% from the…

Letters to the Editor

No apology necessary

Republicans generally believe in and support the First Amendment. Selective rights appear in the view of a few small minded members of the Ravalli County Republican Central Committee, who strenuously objected when two members of that organization spoke with local press. When did that become a crime in this country? At a recent Central Committee…

Policy, not politics, should fuel public land debate

As avid sportsmen, we recognize the value of our public land in Montana. But we also recognize our responsibility as citizens to see that our public lands are properly managed. It’s simply not enough to just “keep it public”. Unfortunately, many on the political left have decided they aren’t interested in improving the management of…

Calm waters getting rougher

It’s been fun getting to know the new legislators. Hard working, friendly and happy are most, only a very few make you wonder why they even bothered running. Like last session, the first few weeks are spent learning, for the freshmen, and getting through our committee’s the policy and non spending type bills. We are…

Support for CSKT Water Compact

Do you have thousands of dollars sitting in your bank account? More importantly, do you have thousands of dollars, sitting in your bank account, that you have no better use for than paying an attorney to go to Water Court? Hopefully the answer to the former is yes, and the latter is no, because Montana’s…

Opposed to CSKT Water Compact

Again I find myself questioning my State and Federal Government’s thought process regarding the controversial 2015 CSKT Water Compact. Fellow Ranchers and State Legislators have somehow decided that my family’s ranch is somehow less important than that of my neighbors, purely because of acreage or the need to work two jobs to cover the expenses…

Current systems aren’t working

I think we should expand Medicaid! But first we must steal people’s money in order to give out that stolen “free” money to others. Why? So we can provide a “boon to our economy” as Van P. Keele says “likely create 540 well-paying jobs and add over $22 million in labor income.” All with stolen…

Montana Whatever Association?

Montana Wilderness Association has been playing amateur politician for many years. MWA uses their ephemeral and subjective assessment of ‘political reality’ to rationalize repeatedly sacrificing ancient, enduring wildlands rather than doggedly pursuing their former mission to protect Montana wildlands. They have made deals with the devil and are now apparently surprised at the results. An…

Flood plain folly

Here are a few thoughts regarding the recent decision by the Ravalli County Commission to revoke restrictions on building within the flood plain. The definition of flood plain is “those areas that are prone to flooding.” That makes sense. The flood fringe, where the commission will now allow building, is part of and entirely within…

Re: EA on the Darby Lands Project

Interested people who are concerned about our wildlife and the condition of our forest lands: It is now time to get your comments in to the Forest Service. This present FS project is not about logging. It is about road closures and creating ORV trails. These road closures are just old spur (logging) roads for…

Comment needed to protect forest

Do you hunt or fish? Care about clean running water? Wildlife? Healthy watersheds? If you do, then it’s important you comment on the Bitterroot National Forest (BNF) Darby Lumber Lands (DLL) project. The BNF just released its DLL Environmental Assessment (EA). The 28,758 acre proposed watershed restoration and motorized recreation project will do lots of…