Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Comprehensive planning is best option

By Jim Rokosch, President, Bitterrooters for Planning; Carlotta Grandstaff, Communications Director; Board of Directors: Kelsey Milner, Doug Soehren, Sarah Roubik, Kathie Roubik, Marilyn Saunders, Bill Nelson, Russ Lawrence, Skip Kowalski, Bill LaCroix, Stewart Brandborg, Larry Campbell Bitterrooters for Planning is a 501-c-3 qualified, Montana non-profit, dedicated to advocating for comprehensive land-use policies, a county-wide Growth…

Letters to the Editor

Open invitation

So Chris Martin and I met at noon on Thursday, August 13th, at the blue picnic tables outside the Ravalli County Museum in Hamilton and conversed non-stop for almost two hours on all kinds of topics we care about, individually and together. I found it to be an excellent opportunity to practice considerate listening, thoughtful…

Climate change must be faced

“Praise be to you, my Lord, through our Sister, Mother Earth, who sustains and governs us….” As fires rage, violent storms obliterate families and possessions, floods kill, and record heat and drought annihilate crops and our way of living, it must be asked: When will the self-proclaimed political party of “pro-life” admit to reality and…

With gratitude

I am grateful to those who have continued our conversation in the Star. Perhaps we can continue in person. I suggest that Donna Gibney’s letter be renamed “Conservatism 101.” Surely no non-partisan dictionary, encyclopedia, or course titled “Government 101” would define democracy using such loaded terms as “mob rule” and “unlimited tyranny by this majority.”…

Two victories for the Constitution

First victory for liberty was back in 2012. Margins were thin that year. People got home from work and heard a kind of good news. Maybe the County Budget and taxpayers were not going to get hit with unexpected payout of tens of thousands of County dollars to a Real Estate Developer (RED#1). Because the…

Commissioners violated Montana Constitution

Thanks to the Bitterroot Star for standing up for the Montana constitution! Judge Langton found that our commissioners violated our constitution, statutory law and their contracted obligations by not complying with “the spirit of the law or the intention of the law” to allow public participation at a public meeting. At this meeting, the commissioners…

Actions speak loudest

Our Congressman, Brian Zinke, is supposed to be taking care of and looking out for OUR best interests. He is NOT. He recently voted in favor of HR Bill 1599 making GMO labeling OPTIONAL {“The FDA must allow, but not require, GMO food to be labeled as GMO”} (see fourth para of this link: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/1599)….

Government 101

Since you don’t see the difference between a Democracy and a Republic let me explain. In a democracy it is ruled by a majority that can impose its will over the individual or group of individuals and they have no protection against the unlimited power of the majority. This majority’s power is absolute and unlimited,…

Still talking?

It is difficult to communicate everything in written form unless you write volumes. Understanding another person can be challenging even in person. Both people have to be willing to listen and try to understand. Too often, I write what I think I am trying to say, but someone else reads it and thinks I am…

Cardboard collection curtailed

Ravalli County Recycling is suspending cardboard service in Stevensville. According to Mayor Gene Mim Mack, the embrace of our new recycling efforts has been “enormous, way beyond what any of us expected. We’ve clearly proven people want to recycle.” But costs to the town for RCR’s processing of this cardboard bonanza – in labor and…

Thanks for caring about river

The Bitter Root Water Forum (BRWF) was pleased to read Chuck Stranahan’s “Reflections on the River” in last week’s Bitterroot Star. As a nonprofit dedicated to ensuring clean water for this and future generations, BRWF is well aware of how important the Bitterroot River is to our livelihoods and to the economy in the Bitterroot…