Bitterroot Star Ads Gail Gutsche For PSC Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Protecting public access, Montana jobs

By Montana Governor Steve Bullock   Earlier this month near the banks of the Yellowstone River, I joined dozens of hunters, anglers, hikers, bikers, boaters, skiers and wildlife watchers to announce a vision for Montana that I believe is one of a governor’s fundamental responsibilities: protecting access to our public lands. Sadly, we’ve seen that…

Letters to the Editor

Partisan LGSC created partisan ballot measure

Votes on the upoming LGSC Ballot are final! No LGSC Ballot in November! What’s with the 5-0 votes by our County Commissioners? Independent minded voters will vote preference for Ravalli County to be governed by three Commissioners! (Being governed by five Commissioners of the same political party led to the real reasons for appointing an…

Don’t spray dandelions

A few days ago I drove by Daly Elementary School and saw many children frolicking on the playground among hundreds of Dandelions going to seed. So obviously they had not been sprayed. Then I went to the court house and walking across the lawn I noticed Dandelions sagging over, drooping down, in the throws of…

Support for Hoffman

Despite days of opposing testimony from Fish, Wildlife and Parks, the scientific community, river front property owners and concerned citizens, the County Commissioners, including JR Iman and Greg Chilcott, voted in 2015 to repeal our longstanding flood plain regulations and allow building IN the flood plain. One scientist compared building in the flood plain to…

Support for Ralston

Agriculture is a $2 billion a year industry in Montana. Hard working farmers and ranchers are the backbone of this industry. Theresa Manzella has failed to support the Agriculture community of Montana and the Bitterroot Valley. In the Montana Stock Growers Association legislative ranking of House and Senate members, Manzella scores a ranking of 139…

Support for Manzella

A vote for Theresa Manzella is a vote for integrity and honor. I am writing this because in our Ravalli County community we are blessed with some of the finest statesmen and women ever elected to office. Individuals who stand for high Constitutional standards. People who would never betray us no matter what the incentive…

Support for Forest Travel Plan

Recently, the Bitterroot National Forest completed a new forest-wide travel plan. The forest managers carefully balanced laws, court decisions, resource protections, existing uses and various user requests to reach the best possible plan. There are some people who are not happy with it, and probably few who like every part of it. However, as our…

Ugly power lines

I just got back in town and noticed that the beautiful trees that lined the walking path were gone. Then I read in the paper that they had been taken out for power lines. I never heard of any public discussion on this. The trees didn’t look sick, in fact they were more beautiful every…

Why the sniveling?

Hello Fellow Stupid Bowl Irrigators: Replying to the 27-January-2016 letter by T.C. Richardson. Well, I would like to personally thank BRID Manager Mr. John Crowley for a fine job of supplying the water to keep our pastures and hay fields green. Next I would like to thank the ditch riders who work 24/7 during the…

Support for Chilcott

I am asking you to please join me in supporting Greg Chilcott in his bid for re-election as County Commissioner from District 2. Greg understands Ravalli County and has a long family history here in the Bitterroot Valley. He has served on the Board of Ravalli County Commissioners since 2003 and the current board continually…

Support for Gutsche

I have worked with Gail Gutsche in one capacity or another for more than 20 years. Most of that time was spent promoting policy and programs that protected women and their families from the ravages of environmental degradation. I don’t know anyone who is as committed to a cleaner environment, and more specifically to a…