https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J92J2F8LA8554
Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Protecting our future by preserving our past

By Tim Fox, Steve Bullock, Patty Mazurek, Marc Racicot, and Mike Greely Last year, 11 million visitors came to Montana. While the reasons they chose Big Sky Country as their vacation destination are as varied as our landscape, it’s safe to say some of them were drawn by the gold rush history of Bannack and…

Letters to the Editor

Keep commenting on FS projects

This is a follow-up on the comments sent to the Forest Service regarding the 2700-acre logging proposal in the Como to Lost Horse area. In case you didn’t see it in the paper, the Forest Service has put a stop the appeal process. They have been working on this phase for some time, but all…

Paying dearly for wilderness

Wanna buy a ‘W’? Get ready to pay dearly if you do. Our Montana congressional delegation is on a night ride to do a dirty deed to Montana wildlands. Under cover of the “must pass” Defense funding bill they want to sneak land management legislation that has not and, given their resort to such a…

Hope for Title X services

Our community is very grateful to have two incoming Ravalli County Commissioners who recognize the value of a county family planning clinic. These two gentlemen, Mr. Hawk and Mr. Schallenberger, have pledged to restore Title X funding that the clinic runs on. We know they are honorable men whose word is their bond. We clearly…

Stop forced organ harvesting

Thank you, Bitteroot Star, for your work through the years to help us become more aware of events and concerns in our state, nation and our world. I also want to thank Congressman Daines who was among the first of a total of 230 Representatives who have co-sponsored H. Res. 281 “expressing concern over persistent…

Snarling?

Mr. Baty: It is 2:45 AM, I just returned from the second call tonight for help. Twice tonight the volunteers of the Three Mile Fire District were asked to stop what they were doing (most sleeping), to answer the call for help from residents of the District. I cannot sleep, it happens some times when…

Remove climbing debris in Mill Creek Canyon

I climbed in the Bitterroot’s Mill Creek Canyon decades ago. This year in returning to the canyon I was surprised by finding over 60 fixed routes and some 500 permanently placed bolts. It reeks of illicit and disrespectful behavior. In the immediate area golden eagles nest as do peregrines. All of the routes are within…

More worthless rules?

In response to your article, “Stevi changes weekend curfew.” I am so glad to see Stevi encouraging locking the kids up at 10pm. After all, kids should be heard but not seen, or is it seen but not heard? Punishing all kids for whom? No reason for them to be outside after ten since “there…

Change we need

Every Ravalli County property owner should look closely at their property tax bill. If you do your blood will begin to boil, and for good reason. You’ll see a brand new tax called the “Judgement Levy–Big S.” “Big S” stands for Big Sky, as in the property developers that our fiscally imprudent county commissioners struck…

Better business ideas

At Thanksgiving, the Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) chose to approve the waste-water permit requested for a nebulous big-box store south of Hamilton. Many in the Valley will see that as “business as usual,” that is, betraying the natural environment and the traditional social and economic construct of the area in favor of big…

Buy locally and support our economy

Locally owned businesses support the communities that support them. Ten great reasons to shop locally: 1. Significantly more money re-circulates in our community when you buy from locally owned, rather than nationally owned, businesses. Locally owned businesses purchase from other local businesses, service providers and farms. Purchasing locally helps grow other businesses as well as…