Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics
Guest Comment/Star Editorial

Support for Recovering America’s Wildlife Act

By Niall G. Clancy, Hamilton   In 1937, recognizing the importance of state wildlife management agencies, President Franklin Roosevelt signed the Pittman-Robertson Act. This act supplies up to 75% of state wildlife agencies’ total budget, using funds generated by taxes on hunting equipment. A similar act was passed in 1950 that provides funds for fisheries…

Letters to the Editor

Our 2018 wildfire season 

What’s this? January and rain, rain, rain. Dogs and cats mousing bare spots in the field. Few mice in the house, until trapped. Kind of normal for late February into March. So off I go to National Weather Service, scroll down to Climatic Outlook, under Forecasts, where there are simple maps suggesting above average…

Trump hurting, not helping, solar industry

I own a small business that sells solar power and pumping systems. With great dismay I note that President Trump has put a 30% tariff on imported solar modules. This is the result of two ‘American’ companies (one headquartered in Germany and one in China) claiming that cheaper imports have hurt their bottom line….

Tester in trouble

I, for one, care deeply about what I see Tester NOT doing for me as my Senator. He was one of 18 Democrat Senators who voted against re-opening the government – all in an effort to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants and the only Red-State Democrat who voted to keep the government shut down….

Montana’s Report Card

Montana’s public education ranks 38th among the states with an overall grade of C-. The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) tracks what state policies have succeeded or failed and annually issues a State Educational Report Card, including the following: • State Academic Standards (how students that meet state standards also meet National Assessment of…

Response to McCreary

This is my response to Sue McCreary. She wants to know where I was in July, August, and September. I was mowing my lawn, hiking and biking, and also breathing smoke. I didn’t complain because I knew the firefighters and other officials were doing their very best to control the Lolo Peak fire while…

Inaccurate reporting should be corrected

There has been some conversation about prosecutorial vindictiveness in Ravalli County in your paper and in the courts. Anyone who has been awake during the last several years knows that it is alive and well, whether or not it reaches the “legal” level. What happened to Christ would probably not even meet the “legal”…

Smoke

In reply to the Guest Comment letter in the Jan. 17, 2018 Bitterroot Star by Marilyn Wolff, I have to ask where she spent last July, August and September while the forest fires in WA, ID and MT were spewing out choking smoke? It was not safe for anyone to be outside. I know…

All hat… no ranch

Montana’s not-so-favorite son, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, has been in the news a lot lately for dubious reasons: allowing coal mining on public lands; cutting down the areas of certain national monuments; lifting the restrictions on development and fracking on federal property and opening up large areas of both American coasts (except around Mar-a-Lago)…

Commendable actions on Stevi river access issues

I would like to commend former mayor Jim Crews, the Town Council,  and the Park Board for their thoughtful deliberation on the issue of the land swap of city park land, proposed by the Capp Family, former owners of the Fort Owen Ranch. I am grateful they did not rush into a decision and…

Forced land acquisition unacceptable

County moving forward on airport land acquisition… How come no one is speaking out about this potential forced land acquisition? If someone forced you to sell, would this win friends and influence people? It sounds to me that the Mildenbergers are willing to negotiate with a reasonable plan. Why isn’t the county considering this?…