Bitterroot Star Ads
Kearns and Sons

Troubled by advertisements

Dear Editor,

“Burn them at the stake!” is what folks used to say. Ye-e-a-ah, that was how people felt about witches, soothsayers, fortune tellers and the like. It wasn’t a highly respected way to make a living way back when. Granted, there were those who were innocent of such accusations, who had nothing to do with divination, black magic, and such, yet because of being misunderstood, they were persecuted for their beliefs and were treated with the same attitude–meeting the same fate. Nonetheless, the attitude towards anyone who was believed to be a witch deserved their day “at the stake.”

Recently, a local newspaper took the liberty to accept and advertise the services of witches, people who are giving classes training anyone who wants to take part in casting spells! Many folks in the community thought it was a joke, at first. Times sure have changed. Attitudes as well. If you don’t have what it takes to get along in this world — cast a spell! But if that’s what you need to do… ? Think about it.

And think some more. We ask you, “What’s wrong with this picture?”

Fade to black.

William Settler

Hamilton

8 Responses to Troubled by advertisements
  1. Jill Stratton
    November 28, 2011 | 6:16 am

As a Pagan and a high Priestess
    it saddens me that people are still so misinformed as to what we actully practice. I would like to invite the writer of this letter to our Yule circle we will be celebrateing the longest night of the year on December 22nd and you are more than welcome.The Circle of the Magic Butterfly Can be reached by email for information and directions mtpaganlady@gmail.com

2. Captain Philbo
    November 28, 2011 | 4:45 am

I am often receiving invitations from churches who wish for me to join them in rituals that involve kneeling before a symbol of torture and death while feasting in a manner that represents cannibalism of the mortal manifestation of their god. And we’re supposed to be worried about witches instead?

As for the comment: “If you don’t have what it takes to get along in this world — cast a spell!” I might offer that there may be many forms of escapism that people have been known to employ.

If you don’t have what it takes to get along in this world:

-Cast a spell
    -Join the army
    -Go for a hike
    -Dink around on facebook
    -Read a novel
    -Meditate for world peace
    -Take some advil
    The list could go on and on, but I hope you get the point.

3. Dennis
    November 28, 2011 | 4:21 am

I cannot believe this paper would even waste the ink to post this letter. The writer is condoning harming others for the sake of religious intolerance. Should we also support racism? Sexism? Bigotry of anyone and anything that isn’t like us? I mean come on! I AM a Christian. But even hinting that burning at the stake is an acceptable thing, that’s just plain idiotic. The writer is obviously uneducated and very, very, very shallow minded. I’ll pray for him.

4. Maraven Rayne
    November 28, 2011 | 4:12 am

I am appalled by what I have read in the original article. I am a Christian and also practitioner of Wicca. There are so many similarities. Prayer is same as chanting, or spells…..Jesus Christ was a phenomenal man. A prophet, a seer, a healer. Not unlike many many other women and men since he has been placed on Earth. Though the Christians cannot see him, they still believe and worship him. Wiccans worship nature, being represented by Goddess and God. Male and Female. Polar opposites. Only, Wiccans do not believe in a Devil, nor do they believe God,or Jesus Christ is judgemental or a revengeful deity. These are Man’s emotions, not to be given to one who healed people, had visions and was pure of heart. There is NO sin. What is this SIN they say Jesus died for?? Wiccans are very earthy, friendly, loving humans. Please see for yourself that judgement is manmade.

5. Mary Hawk
    November 28, 2011 | 3:41 am

If it’s not hanging witches it’s watching Harry Potter and thinking everything they see is real. Please don’t be ignorant or believe simply what you hear or read…seek out the truth yourself.

6. alexis foster
    November 27, 2011 | 10:12 pm

Witches in Montana are reaching out to the uneducated people in their towns, a spell is like a prayer. You wish for something to happen, ask your deity for it and hope for the best. Spell casting is just a ritualistic way of prayer, most pagans and wiccans don’t use spells for other people unless they are asking for protection from or for them. One of the laws in wicca and paganism is: what you cast will come back to you three times more. Witches aren’t satanists that cast spells to hurt people, we cast spells to heal ourselves and others, we wish for good to come to others and bad energy to leave, not to wish evil on them or put a hex on someone.
    People should look into the religion more to understand what they are criticizing to be “evil”.

7. Concerned Non-Christian
    November 27, 2011 | 9:52 pm

Yup, I guess your right we should burn at the stake according to you. As a non-Christian, that is what I am concerned about. When I hear people say stuff like that, I do live in fear. I never tell any one that I am non-christian, or what I believe. There are too many ignorant people out there.
    When people have found out that I am non-christian, they pass me over for promotions. They have even vehemently said that my acceptance of people that believe what I believe, are “not of Jesus!” That I am going to some made up place that sounds a lot like Texas in the summer. They say that I worship the devil. I and most of the pagans I know, don’t even believe in the devil.
    They say that I do animal, or worse yet human sacrifice. Obviously, they have yet to read their own bible where their christian god not only says that is ok, but is encouraged.
    My version of going to church consists of going into the woods and sitting under a tree. The main tenet of many pagan religions is “Do what thou wilt, as it harm none.” What non-pagans don’t understand is that means, physically, psychologically, or emotionally. I even thank my vegetables for giving of their energy to nourish my body. Sounds silly, but at least I can see my vegetables.
    All I am trying to say is lets stop judging others, jumping at imagined boogie men, and trying to say that I don’t deserve to live because I don’t believe what you believe. Changing someone’s mind with a bullet just rules by fear. Maybe you could ask me my beliefs and maybe I could ask you about yours. They are both valid. They are only beliefs. They are like opinions, everyone has them.
    To many people have died because of their beliefs. Isn’t it time to stop the hatred and fear?
    Namaste

8. Stone Mason
    November 27, 2011 | 7:20 pm

Do you light candles in church? Do you pray to a divine source? Do you blow out birthday candles & cross your fingers for luck?

Please, take the opportunity to educate yourself about what the “other half” does. Visit, inquire, compare.

We are so far beyond the “evil” that the Church once so ardently promoted to protect itself from other ideas and beliefs.