The Sula Community Historical Society held a community barbecue on Saturday, September 24 to celebrate the restoration of the Sula Community School House which was built in 1897 to replace an earlier log schoolhouse.
According to information found at the Darby Pioneer Museum, the first school, at first the new school was unpainted and was clapboarded. There was no well and the larger boys had to carry water from an adjacent ranch. The first desks were homemade. Later, they had ready-made furniture. It was lighted with six reflector bracket lamps. During the winter months, lunches would freeze on the way to school and would need to be placed near the stove to thaw by noon. William Wetzsteon, now living in Billings, is believed to be the only person still living who attended class at the school house.
The Sula Community Historical Society was created in 1984 to work on this project, and according to treasurer Carole Wood, it has taken this long to get enough funds together to get all the needed repairs done. About 60 local residents attended Saturday’s celebration and shared memories of the school. Many individuals and businesses contributed to the restoration project and society members expressed their appreciation.