Kearns and Sons RS Aesthetics

Hamilton edges Corvallis in OT

Hamilton’s Jeremy Johnson ducks away from an unknown Corvallis player in Friday night’s game. Hamilton defeated Corvallis, 39-38, in overtime. Jean Schurman photo

The Hamilton Broncs pulled out an overtime win over Corvallis on Friday night at the Bronc’s Homecoming. Down by 20 points, the Broncs rallied after Tyler Murray intercepted a pass and gave Hamilton a chance at scoring. Josh Bauder hit Murray from nine yards out to close the gap. The two-point conversion from Bauder to Jeremy Johnson was good and the Broncs were gaining momentum.
Hamilton kicked and recovered an onside kick and had another opportunity to score as the clock ticked down. Seth Mason kicked a field goal for Hamilton with 22 seconds remaining in the game. Another onside kick by Mason was recovered by the Broncs with 17 ticks on the clock and Corvallis ahead by seven points. Murray was Bauder’s target from 36 yards out. Murray caught the pass, turned and went right up the middle for the score. The PAT by Mason was good and the game was tied as the final buzzer sounded.
Hamilton had first possession in overtime and quickly capitalized with a handoff from Bauder to Murray who then passed to Chris Cleveland from 10 yards out. Mason’s kick was good and Hamilton had the lead.
However, Corvallis had been deadly on the ground all night and still had a chance to win. Ty Berner had scoring runs of two yards and 47 yards in regulation play and Stuart Landis followed that up with a 56-yard romp. The Blue Devils went to Berner for the play who made the 4-yard run for the score. Opting to go for two and the win, the Blue Devils lined up but two penalties pushed them back and they were unable to convert. Hamilton won, 39-38.
“We had our opportunities,” said Corvallis coach Russ Henderson. “We got on our heels and the door opened just a little and they jumped through it. It was a tough loss.”
Berner had 191 yards for the Blue Devils. He carried the ball 23 times and finished with four touchdowns.
“It was pretty crazy,” said first-year coach Travis Blome of his Hamilton team’s play. “The kids kept playing hard. We fought all the way to the last play and it ended up bouncing our way. Mason made the field goal and extra points when we needed him to.”
Mason said he was a bit nervous on his field goal attempt but that he relied on his past experience to make it good. As for the onside kicks he placed perfectly, “I told the linemen to go and get the ball.”
Florence defeated St. Ignatius, 47-8. Riley Philips took a 10-yard pass form Zac Newbary for the first Falcon touchdown. However the run failed. Dylan Reynolds was Newbary’s target for touchdown receptions of 40 yards, 26 yards and 45 yards. Aaron Ward was Newbary’s next target from 36 yards out. Newbary went back to Reynolds for an 85-yard pass in the third quarter. Philips ended the Falcon scoring with a 1-yard reception from Newbary.
Victor lost to Charlo, 56-36. After leading at the half, Victor could not stop the Viking offense in Western C action. Chris Morozumi had runs of two yards, six yards, and five yards. Kurt Manely plunged through the Charlo line from one yard out in the second quarter. The final Pirate touchdown was a three-yard run by Derrick Cavill.
Stevensville lost to Dillon, 41-0 and Darby lost to Superior, 48-6. Jeremy Campbell had a 58-yard run for the long Tiger score.

There are no comments yet. Be the first and leave a response!

Leave a Reply

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?